POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How should single dimension area lights work?? : Re: How should single dimension area lights work?? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 19:30:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How should single dimension area lights work??
From: bob h
Date: 12 Feb 2002 04:12:20
Message: <3c68dc74@news.povray.org>
"Rich" <SrP### [at] ricoswebcom> wrote in message
news:Xns### [at] 204213191226...
>   So how do I get a smooth line of illumination?  A simple array of point
> lights doesn't work; either there aren't enough lights to provide smooth
> illumination or there are too many to render in a reasonable time.  <sigh>

Takes a workaround to get area highlighting.  By reflection of the highly
ambient light object or media can act as the glowing shape of a light.  glow
in MegaPOV is good too.  Thing is, nothing I know of makes for a perfect
true area light.  A string of point lights with short fade distances to
speed it up only works well on nearby things.  Radiosity can do okay on the
nearby surfaces too.

bob h